Monday, April 13, 2009

Walking the Via Appia Antica


Today was a mega walking day along the Appian Way. This is an original Roman road, in many places still paved with Roman stones complete with a footpath for pedestrians. The first bit is still open for cars except on a Sunday. It is lined with funeral monuments is very atmospheric. For those lucky people who know of my ingrown-toe saga, you would be very surprised to know that I was able to walk for 3 hours with minimal moaning. It does help that we were able to have a tasty meal en route.

On the way back we had a delicious gelati where I was propositioned in Italian by a young waiter who thought I wouldn't understand! That word is easy to remember! Maybe Hugh is right after all and Italy is the place for middle aged ladies to have some fun. Feeling very giggly we went to the Trevi Fountain which was heaving with people. Hugh is on a mission to find the cheapest meal in Rome and made us walk over the river to Trastevere for dinner. We had fun people watching.

2 comments:

Karen Gillow said...

Go girl! I like that you didn't note how you RESPONDED to this naughty italian suggestion!!! I know, what happens in Rome on the long walks, stays in Rome on the long walks.

Have one for me! A Campari darlink, and a young man if you can! ;-)

KP said...

Ha ha - yes you are right - what happens in Rome stays in Rome!