Monday, April 20, 2009

A day on the Palatine



Another big day out - had a lovely visit to the Villa Farnesina where there were beautiful ceiling frescoes by Raphael and his associates. Absolutely stunning - lots of nymphs being pursued by satyrs and winged cherubs doing their stuff. Then we had a lovely walk along the river and noted the old Roman bridges still in use. Saw the lovely church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin but didn't put our hands into the mouth of truth. Far too dangerous, so Liz bought a nice fridge magnet of it instead - I am having to pull Liz away from tacky Church shops - she has an addiction to snow domes - one snow dome can be excused but anymore than that is worrying.

I took some photos of pretty shop windows to prove that this isn't entirely a gruelling trip ticking off museums and monuments! We strolled around the Palatine and the Forum in the afternoon enjoying the ambience - it is hard to believe it is all real as it seems like a film set. Particularly the Colosseum. We stopped off at our favourite bakery and bought a delicious ricotta and chocolate torte to have with the Sicillian strawberries we got from the market earlier. Liz is going to make asparagus risotto for dinner - should be good.

4 comments:

Sharron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

All sounds so wonderful. Jealous as anything. Though we did have a fun night with your children. You will be pleased that I fed them lots of vegetables so have warded off scurvy for the time being.

Karen Gillow said...

Hello K1 & Hughsie,

wow, I am so jealous! I know that Mark has been reading this every day when he gets home from school, but I think he is just too jealous to even comment.

K1 Have you been buying shoes - or other leather thingies? Had a flurry of emails from Hugh overnight, so I guess he is working hard (and drinking hard I bet!).

Stay safe!
K2x

KP said...

Thanks Julie for feeding the kids - I am worried about scurvy. They seem well so far so good. The clothes here are amazing - fortunately fairly expensive. Of course the shoes are to die for - luckily I have to wear my hush puppies for my sore toe so that is restraining me at the moment but only just.