Saturday, April 25, 2009

Liberation Day



It was a biggish holiday today so lots of Museums were closed but I wandered around in the sun Church viewing. Some of you may wonder why a committed pagan likes churches so much, so I will have to explain. Many churches in Rome were built over existing temples so often have pagan underground ruins (very spooky usually), or have lovely mosaics, architectural features and/or famous paintings. Some also just have a lovely feel about them. San Marco was very nice as there was a baptism just finishing when I visited today which was rather sweet and the mosaics in the apse were gorgeous.

I walked around the forums of Augustus and Nerva with everyone else in Rome or so it seemed. I was impressed by Trajan's column and the lovely oval-shaped Church beside it. The best thing was that the via dei Fori Imperiali was closed to traffic so one did not have to worry about being run over for a change. I had my favorite suppli (rice balls) for lunch and reposed myself. In the afternoon I just wandered around with no particular aim in mind which was very pleasant and came across funny fountains and information about the area of Rome that we are living in. Rome is divided into XXII Rione (divisions) and we are in the VI Rione of Parione. Must use Roman numerals when in Rome! Hugh will be back from Spain in an hour or so which will be nice. Buona sera.

2 comments:

Sharron said...

Hi Karen - some lovely photos and info - would really enjoy some photos of food too !! All sounds so yummy.. Keep up the good blog Cheers Sharron

KP said...

Hi Sharron - ok will get cracking on food shots - there does seem to be many photos of drinking! Ciao Karen