Monday, April 27, 2009

Third Sunday in Rome



We had a fairly quiet day today in order to keep up our strength for a Rome at night walk - I really wanted to see if the forum is lit up at night. So we had this lovely meal in the Jewish quarter and then walked to the Campidoglio to have a breathtaking view over the forum at dusk - very romantic but alas not terribly well lit as it got dark. Across the road however Trajan's market was beautifully illuminated including the medieval tower that sits on top of the ruins.

Rome has many of these fortress-like towers dotted all over the place including the Torre dei Frangipane or monkey tower that we saw once and could not find again until the night of Luigi's dinner when we stumbled across it by accident. Apparently a monkey snatched a new born baby and took it up to the tower, the father prayed to the virgin Mary and the monkey promptly bought the baby back down again so there is always a lit statue of the virgin on top of the tower. Great story I think.

Hugh and I managed to brave the doorman and made our way to the terrace of the Hotel Forum for a drink and I think we have found the place for my birthday celebrations - it has a wonderful view over the forum so we will be there just as the sun sets on Saturday May 2nd. This is the least snooty, most affordable and I think the nicest of all the romantic hotel terraces that I have been diligently been researching for my readers.

No comments: