Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Recovery Tuesday and Wednesday




Seeing as I am lying here resting my foot I thought I might put these last 2 days together. Tuesday was rainy and miserable so it was no hardship to lay on the couch and read the exciting "Girl who played with fire" - the second in the series by Stieg Larsson. As I am going to Sweden I am intrigued by all the sex and violence. But today it was beautiful and sunny again - needless to say the BBC weather people had predicted rain all week - I am starting to seriously wonder about their predictions!

So I hobbled downstairs and sat in our square having coffee in the sun and people-watching. I really love looking at our beautiful little dolls-house of a church. For some reason I find it an incredibly pleasing piece of architecture. I spent some time examining it today to find out why. The facade was built in 1680 but it is not possible to date its original construction and the church already exisited in the 11th century according to historical references. It is adorable on the inside too - laid out in the shape of a cross on its side with the long part in the middle. It has 3 or 4 side chapels and a tiny organ in the loft above the front door which we can hear playing from our apartment. Our kitchen has a high oval shaped window which matches one of the windows inside the Church and we can look over part of the roof of the Church.
I don't think the bells we can hear come from the our Church of Santa Barbara but from another nearby church - we are quite surrounded with them here. I took some photos of the nearby market square called Campo dei Fiori where I bought some chicory leaves to put in my soup. My family all think I am a rabbit as I love leafy greens so much. Chicory leaves are quite bitter but rather nice. There are a lot more weird and wonderful green leafy things to try before I leave Italy if the Campo is anything to go buy. Tomorrow I might take some photos of my favourite bakery as the window display is quite something - this is the site of the best suppli in Rome - at least according to me.

No comments: