Sunday, May 3, 2009

May Day and my birthday



Today was another holiday so Hugh was home from work - he hates holidays! We are both getting very lazy and sleeping in till 9 or 10 in the morning - strangely enough often the quietest time in our square. I am getting used to the noise now and hardly waking up at 2 in the morning any more when all the party animals really get going.

Hugh was meeting a prospective post-doc from Israel today so we took her out to the Jewish quarter and over the ponte Fabricio to the island in the middle of the Tiber to watch the river and all the people. It seemed that the whole of Rome decided to eat when we wanted to and our favourite restaurants in the Jewish quarter were all full so we came back to the place we have been eating at fairly regularly. It has nice food and is just around the corner from our apartment. After lunch and too much wine I had a siesta and Hugh and Gilly walked across Trastevere to the hills behind where Hugh likes to do his bird watching. Hugh and I stayed in to watch Italian TV - it is facsinating -full of tall, thin girls wearing hardly any clothes, dancing and flicking their hair. It is quite addictive.

Another lazy day today for my birthday. We went out in the afternoon and I finally got to see the inside of this Church called San'Angelo in Pescheria which has been built into the portico of Octavia and does not look like a Church at all from the outside - looks like a Roman ruin - just how I like my churches! Very nice inside with lots of fishy motifs as this used to be the fish market area. Then Hugh and I returned to my now favourite haunt - the roof top terrace of the Hotel Forum with its - you guessed it - views over the forum. It is a lovely place and the restaurant below was holding a wedding reception - it looked very beautiful and so did the bride. Such a fantastic place and a very nice at sunset. Extremely romantic.

No comments: