Friday, May 8, 2009

Day 2 in Tuscany



This morning we went on a walk in the woods that surround Luigi's property - we saw 3 orchids which is pretty exciting. Luckily Luigi has books on plants and the stars in his study so we can start studying Northern hemisphere things. My other excitement today was cracking the washing machine - a German model compared to the weird Italian one I had been using in Rome. Thank goodness for the internet and babelfish! This machine is pretty straightforward comparatively speaking. So I was pretty domesticated today - washed, made soup and started my research into Tuscany and the things I can see and do - as always so much to see so little time etc - my vow is to try and amble around back roads and check out hill-top villages and vineyards but my urge to tick off works of art and famous towns has to be controlled however- we shall see.

Had a lovely siesta - my personality is very well suited to this concept- and then Hugh and I started a walk to the castle but I don't think my toe is ready for the full distance (about a 2 hour return trip) so we turned back as it was time for drinkies anyway! Had asparagus risotto for dinner and played cards - it is rather nice not having TV but you have a lot more time to get all competetive - I remember our honeymoon in Scotland where it rained most of the week and we had rented a caravan (it was summer) and when we weren't bird-watching we played Austrian whist and I lost every game - very dispiriting. I need to play games with someone who doesn't understand probability.

1 comment:

Karen Gillow said...

LMAO!!! K1 that was a great comment about not playing games with Hugh - I think you are right, I would NEVER attempt it.

keep the blogging coming - I love it! Oh, and Hugh, you look so dashing - should I use this photo on the SEL or AEDA web site? Far more realistic that the stuffy tie ones! ha ha xxx