Thursday, May 7, 2009

Day 1 in Tuscany




Hugh is as brave as Hercules and drove us from the airport to Luigi's villa in Tuscany - not a feat for the faint-hearted. It is such as contrast to Rome here- so quiet - nothing but the sound of bees and birds and the hum of the fridge. We are surrounded by woods and lovely views. The weather is perfect - about 23 degrees and sunny. The guest-house is so cute - I think I mentioned before that it was the pig-house of his villa and Luigi converted it to a guesthouse. It has a fireplace, chestnut wood floors and a marble sink. It felt a bit eerie at night because of the silence (or maybe a ghost?) so I lit some candles, gathered some flowers and put on some music to dispel the dead energy. Luckily I have had my chakra/feng-shui/crystals period so I can deal with this sort of issue! The hippy thing comes in handy sometimes.

We went shopping in the nearest village which is about 8 kms away called Rosia, about 15 kms from Siena. We bought enough provisions to see a small village through the winter mainly in alcohol I think. So I will be cooking a bit as we are a still timid about the roads and driving but I know I will get braver in the cause of art and history and fresh bread. But after a month of very little cooking it does not seem so onerous. Must go and open my bottle of prosecco and look at Luigi's castle from the terrace!

2 comments:

Karen Gillow said...

Have you been around Luigi's castle much - can we see some photos of that. I find it completely intriguing that he is renovating a castle!!!

K2xx

KP said...

No not yet - Hugh is planning many a hike for me around the area so photos will be coming.