Monday, July 20, 2009

Scandanavian Sauna



The last few days have been spent in a so far futile attempt to find a hazel grouse. I am posting a picture from Henrik, of the sheriff and his deputies so you can see how serious this is. I got dragged to a forest on Saturday where there was no track, just lots of bolders, blueberry bushes and moss - I could feel a twisted ankle coming with every step I gingerly took. So I don't think I will be promoted to deputy sheriff any time soon on account of all the complaining I did. Also I don't have big equipment like Johan.

Luckily it started to rain on Saturday so I was let off hazel grouse patrol and as it was cold we decided to try out the sauna that is in the basement at Grimso. The photo of the helpful poster on the wall shows you what you have to do. Normally I dislike enclosed spaces but this sauna has two windows high up in the wall that can be opened and a nice clear glass door so it was OK for we claustrophobics. It was actually really nice and relaxing and I slept like a baby last night so there must be something in it after all. I am still more in favour of spas than saunas but then I don't live in a cold climate.

Today I went north to the town of Skinnskateberg for provisions. It is closer than Lindesberg but no-one from Grimso seems to go there. I can see why now as it is a little grim. It could just be the windy grey day but everyone looked a little depressed. I suppose if this is summer you would be depressed! The town had one bottleshop like Lindesberg but here all the alcohol was behind glass and you had to ask the lady for what you wanted. I know it is supposed to reduce wife-beatings and alcoholism and so on but the only effect on me is to make me feel slightly desperate and to buy more than I needed. But perhaps it is too much of a culture shock for an Australian after all and it is not so bad if you are used to it. I wonder?

For some reason I have become interested in Life Expectancy tables and see that Australia and Sweden are more or less the same and both above the rest of Europe, other Scandanavian countries and the US and the UK. It really makes you wonder why as diet and alcohol restrictions are quite different. The only thing I can see is that anti-smoking laws appear roughly the same and the standard of health care must be similar. Although I have noticed that the quality and variety of fruit and vegetables aren't that great here but I remember that in Australian country towns people must survive on frozen vegetables too as it can be a bit dire outside of big cities as well. Maybe all this emphasis on healthy food is a bit overrated?

No comments: