Saturday, July 4, 2009

Leaving the dreaming spires of Oxford



Yesterday was spent wandering around Oxford having fun. I had a nice English breakfast in the College Hall which felt just like the one at Hogwarts only a bit smaller. Then I visited the Chapel which you can see in the photo and the organ started playing just after I walked in adding to the atmosphere. Luckily this time I was not looking at a tomb, as in Cambridge, so I did not have another heart attack! I took a turn in the gardens and admired the foliage. Unfortunately Mr Darcy did not accompany me as he had to rush off for a big day of talks and meetings. I think this blog is starting to sound like the Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde!

After getting my toe looked at by a nice Podiatrist who said it was looking good, I hit the shops to celebrate. I visited the holy site of Blackwell's, perhaps the best bookshop I have ever been in. They have a classical studies and history section that makes me start drooling. I also found a book in the literature section that I had been looking for through most of Europe. I had to tear myself away before I lost the plot (ha ha) and remembered that anything I bought I would have to carry through at least three countries before getting back to Australia. They even buy second hand books so I was able to offload a book I had just finished. What a service!

I climbed a Saxon tower (the oldest building in Oxford) and had a wonderful view of all the spires and towers of Oxford. There are a lot. I was able to visit the St John's College library which as you can see from the photo is absolutely beautiful. I got to feel like an old scholar without having to do any of the work involved. Suits me fine! It really is a gorgeous place and I'm not sure I fully appreciated it when were here in the 1980's.

After a little siesta I met up with Hugh and some colleagues for a drink at the University Club and then we met some other colleagues at groovy tapas bar called Kazbar. It was unbelievably warm weather for England and we caught up with Claudio and Jorgelina, an Argentinian couple who we had met, funnily enough, at Luigi's in Tuscany. What a small world.

Today we left England through the newish terminal 5 at Heathrow which is a big improvement on the other terminals, let me tell you, and headed back to Sweden. Although it is only a two and a half hour flight, by the time we picked up the hire car and drove back to Grimso it was 11 pm and the whole trip had taken over 12 hours. We were pretty tired but pleased to be back in the peaceful forest.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mr Darcy's loss, let me tell you! All looks beautiful, and I am sighing reading it. Onto the next chapter ....