Thursday, June 4, 2009

Tombs and Towers



Yesterday I visited the birth-place of San Galgano (see previous post) and observed his preserved skull (fortunately encased in some sort of helmet thingy) and the mark his horse made in the rock when it kneeled in front of the apparition of the Archangel St Michael. No kidding! I am wondering whether he might be the origin of the Sir Galahad story given the similarity of their names and the whole Arthurian sword in the stone stuff. His medieaval hilltop-town is called Chiusdino and is very cute with lots of steep steps and arched gates. As it was a weekday it was also terribly quiet and empty, and I appeared to be the only person in the old part of the town, barring a few cats and an old lady or two sweeping their steps and shaking out their mats. Rather pleasant really.

Today I gaily drove off in search of Etruscan tombs. Tombs for me are like childbirth - I forget how awful it is each time and then it is too late! Naturally I am all by myself in a deserted area, naturally the word tomb means I have to go underground where it is dark, smelly and scary because dead people were there for millenia. Little creatures scuttle away on my approach and nasty spiderwebs are strung up in front of the entrance as a warning. Moreover I remember half way into the tomb that (a) I don't have a torch and (b) I hate tombs! But it was a new adventure to add to my growing list of creepy crypt/tomb tales.

After the fear factor faded somewhat, I stayed out in the sunshine and drove along dirt country roads, through tiny villages to view a few more castles and country chapels. It was really delightful although some of the roads were a bit hairy - a 4 wheel drive would have been nice. Except for the time when there was me, the rock wall and the man in the tractor on a tiny track. I was pleased to be in the baby fiat panda then I can tell you. So I can report that I am doing reasonably well in my mission to see as many castles, churches and hill-top villages within a 20 km radius except that as Hugh pointed out (he is a stickler for accuracy and apparently knows the difference between diameter and radius) my quest turns out to be within a 10 km radius and I have not got to a few of them. Some people are very critical! I told him that I am leaving some for next time and there will be a next time!

No comments: