Monday, June 29, 2009

Summertime at Silwood Park



Yes it really does happen - England does have a summer! We are enjoying unprecedentedly warm weather and I can wear all my summer skirts that I so optimistically packed. We had a lovely day in Cambridge on Saturday - the Senior Combination Room was full of Oxbridge atmosphere and fabulous carpets and the food was delicious. Hugh and I have been surprised by how friendly everyone has been - what has happened to the old-fashioned British reserve? Maybe the weather has made everyone happy and chatty.

On Sunday we visited King's Cross station for the last time and I took my obligatory Harry Potter photo, before heading west to Silwood Park which is part of Imperial College London but located near Ascot. We had stayed there as a family about 15 years ago but did not get to visit many pubs being tied up with little kids. So we went to the nice if slightly up-market pub pictured, with Drew one of Hugh's former post-docs who now lives in the US.

We had a great night - I tried a Hendrick's gin and tonic (apparently all the rage here) which is served with cucumber instead of lemon or lime. It was unusual and refreshing. The pub was very trendy and we had groovy salads and organic Chardonnay. At the risk of sounding like an alcoholic I will disclose that we then repaired to the Hotel Bar for some Champagne and a catch up with Eve, one of Hugh's current post-docs who is also attending the workshop.

I spent Monday on the little bus that goes to nearby villages in order to find a launderette. I was aided in my search by a helpful old lady who took me under her wing and showed me the way. At Ascot, where I went to do some banking, another helpful old lady told me what to do in Windsor and people were chatting away to me on the bus home as well. Things have really changed here that's all I can say! Hugh is here for a workshop and we all met in the old Manor house at Silwood for the introductory talk followed by dinner. The talk was most interesting describing the global biodiversity situation and typical goverment responses. (basically to hold another meeting!)

We then sat outside under the huge, shady old trees of the Manor and had a yummy curry dinner which was served in the conservatory. The Manor house has a wonderful old photo in the hall showing a visit by the then Prince and Princess of Wales to Silwood Park in 1896 with a copy of the court circular for that day. It is a great house but sadly showing signs of neglect and institutionalisation. Some truly horrid light fittings and ghastly lino have been installed but the stained glass and high ceilings still remain. I don't remember visiting the house on our last visit.

What a shame - only a few days left in England - I am stocking up on DVD's and books for our last 3 weeks in Sweden. Of course the bookshops here are wonderful and it is hard to restrain oneself. I am enjoying English TV as well -I didn't realise how much I was missing it.

2 comments:

Karen Gillow said...

Karen, I am at work right now (don't tell Hugh) so will keep this short.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY YOU TWO!!!25 Years, well done!

Also, I am beside myself with envy: gorgeous buildings, college lunching, antique pubs, Bob Smith for company, and finally the 9 3/4 station! It is all too much!

Have been slack reading the blog, but am catching up - wonderful work. Enjoy your last few weeks
Love, K2 xxx

KP said...

Thanks sweetie - and congratulations to you Mark as well. I'm glad you liked the Harry Potter photo - I am a total potter addict. See you soon! love k1