Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Cloisters and Dante



We have had 2 days of steady rain but that does not stop me on my culture trail! Visited the abbey of Torri yesterday which was built in 1069 and has a gorgeous Romanesque cloister that you can see pictured. The village built around it is lovely too and I bought some food from the little van that sets up shop in the square and sells vegies, fruit and other staples from the side of the van. Lots of old ladies in slippers were buying away. I was wondering what you would do in these villages if you didn't drive and now I know. I don't know how often the van comes mind you.

Today was drier so we ventured out along the Old Massetana route (a medieaval road) to the Ponte della Pia, a romanesque bridge which is mentioned in Dante's Divine Comedy (Purgatory, Canto V: Lines 130-136). We were also trying to find an old Augustine convent which is now a picturesque ruin on this road apparently but failed due to muddy conditions and bad signage. We will prevail on another day though as I have promised to leave no stone unturned in my quest(as previously mentioned). We also explored our local village of Rosia and climbed into the old part of the village which is up a fairly steep hill - there is a nice castle at the top and a panoramic view of the countryside. So I am planning a quiet afternoon - bye for now.

No comments: