Sunday, June 14, 2009

From Saxony to Sweden



We heard my favourite Bach piece played in the church where he worked on Friday night for the Bach festival- it was so beautiful tears came into my eyes and the sun came out and brightened the colours in the stain glass windows. It was a wonderful moment and even better it only cost 2 euro to get in. On the way home we took a photo of a statue of Goethe which stands in front of the old Stock Exchange, a lovely neo-classical building. A lot of the big names in German culture spent some time in Leipzig - I visited Mendelssohn's and Schumann's houses but didn't get to the house of Schiller.

Just my luck - it was a beautiful day as we passed through Berlin but no time really to stop and enjoy the city as we were en route to the airport. However Sweden is quite cold and wet and I am still wearing my winter clothes. It was a 2 and a half hour drive from the airport to Grimso the research station where we will be based for the next 7 weeks. Our new car is a blue volkswagen golf which I will have to get used to as the nearest town is 30 kms away. Hugh is happy because he is in the forest and plans to see many new birds.

The other picture is of Hugh and his post-doc Peter doing field-work! Luckily Peter has some DVDs and I stocked up on books so I will have something to do out here in the woods. It was light nearly the whole night which will take some getting used to but the research station looks really pretty and overlooks a lake. Apparently there are a lot of moose about and no doubt many bugs for me to complain about. So now I have to learn a bit of Swedish for goodbye - hej då!

No comments: